- Public Hearings
- Post Agenda Meetings
- City Council on City Channel Pittsburgh
- Legislative Information Center Web Video
To register to speak at a City Council Public Hearing you must contact the City Clerk at 412-255-2138. Testimony is limited to three (3) minutes. If you do not register in advance, you will have the opportunity to address Council after the list of registered speakers has been exhausted, and you will be given one (1) minute of testimony.
- The City Clerk must accept a petition requesting a public hearing if the petition and its signitors meets the following requirements:
- At least 25 original signatures, no photostatic copies.
- The petitioners are electors (anyone who is eligible to vote, even if not registered, is an elector).
- They are residents of the city.
- They intend to appear at the requested hearing.
- In the case of hearing requested on pending legislation, the petition must be presented within three (3) days of the introduction of the legislation.
- Other than to determine facial validity to the petition, the City Clerk is not required to make an investigation to determine the validity of the information set forth in the petition unless specifically requested to do so by Council.
- Upon determining that the petition meets the above requirement, the City Clerk will forward a copy of the petition to Council, an will submit the petition to the President of Council for introduction and scheduling accompanied by a statement indicating that the petition is valid.
- Petitions considered at Council's Committee Meeting, in which Council moves to schedule a public hearing and refer the petition to the appropriate department for a report prior to setting a hearing, the City Clerk will forward a copy of the report to Council.
- A copy of this report will be sent to the petitioner requesting them to review the report and notify the City Clerk as to whether or not they still desire a hearing.
- In the event that the City Clerk rules a petition invalid, a copy of the petition will be forwarded to Council accompanied by a statement indicating the reasons.
- The petitioners will be notified that the petition was ruled invalid and reasons why this ruling was made and submit the petition to the President of Council for introduction and scheduling.
- If a challenge to the validity of a petition is presented to the City Clerk, he would be required to receive evidence offered by those challenging the petition and make a decision as to whether the petition is valid.
- All petitions will be clocked in at the time received by the City Clerk from the petitioners or Council members.
- Petitions received by the City Clerk from the petitioners will be submitted to the President of Council for introduction and referred to the proper committee.
- Petition received by the City Clerk from Council members will be introduced in Council by the Council member delivering the petition and will be referred to the proper committee.
Post Agenda Meetings are information-gathering sessions sponsored by City Council. Specific guests are invited to share their expertise with Council on targeted subject matters in a roundtable discussion format.
Please be advised that while the general public is invited to attend Post Agenda Meetings, there is no public comment.
If members of the public wish to address City Council on any subject matter relating to City business, please attend any Regular or Standing Committees Meeting of Council to participate under the “Public Comment” portion of the meeting.
The City cablecasts City Channel Pittsburgh on Comcast Channel 13 and Verizon FiOS Channel 44. A LIVE Stream is also available.
- Regularly-scheduled legislative meetings of City Council are broadcast on Tuesdays, beginning at 10:00 a.m.
- The meeting is then replayed that evening at 7:00 p.m., Saturdays at 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., and Sundays at 1:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.
- Regularly-scheduled standing committees meetings are cablecast on Wednesdays, beginning at 10:00 a.m.
- The meeting is then replayed that evening at 7:00 p.m.,Saturdays at 1:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m., and Sundays at 10:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.
City Council provides video streaming for all Regular Meetings, Standing Committee Meetings, and any Public Hearing or Post Agenda that is Cablecast.
- During an Event - Access the Video Streaming/Live Video Streaming Page while the event takes place.
- After an Event - Wait approximately 24 hours while the editing and posting process takes place, then go to the Meeting Calendar/Calendar Page to select any archived meeting from the list.
Office of City Clerk
510 City-County Building | 414 Grant Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15219