Bulky or large waste items may be set out curbside with your regularly scheduled refuse pick-up.
- Limit two items per week.
- Place at curb no earlier than 6:00 p.m. on the night before collection and no later than 6:00 a.m. on the day of collection.
Accepted Bulky Items
Do not disassemble or place anything below in trash bags, please leave all items whole.
Bulk waste includes common large and over-sized items, such as:
- Sofas, recliner chairs and tables
- Box springs, mattresses and dressers
- Stoves, washers and dryers
- Toilets and hot water tanks
- Windows and cabinets
- Fencing in bundles not exceeding 35 pounds or 5 feet in length
Not Accepted Bulky Items
The City of Pittsburgh DOES NOT collect the following items:
- Televisions, computers, peripherals
- Freon appliances
- Household chemicals/hazardous wastes
- Demolition and construction wastes
- Batteries, light bulbs
- Car and automobile parts, tires
Excessive Bulk Waste
Fees will be assessed for the collection of bulky waste when the amount exceeds these established limits.
Single-Family Dwelling: No charge for 2 or fewer bulk items per collection: $160.00 for each 1/2 hour or portion thereof for more than 2 items.
Small Apartment Buildings: No charge for 2 or fewer bulky items per unit per collection; $160.00 for each 1/2 hour or portion thereof for more than 2 items.
Personal checks or money orders are accepted and they are to be made payable to the City of Pittsburgh Treasurer.
The Director of Public Works may, at his or her discretion, charge or supplement costs if more than two bulky items are collected.
Call our office at 412-255-2773 to arrange for a special pickup.