In any emergency, being prepared is the single most important step. Below are a number of documents and links to help you and your family to be prepared for the next emergency.
Pet owners also need to plan for the welfare of their pets during an emergency. A pet emergency kit should include:
- Necessary medicine
- The names and addresses of vets outside of your area.
- Pet owners should also consider getting ID chips for their pets. The sad fact is that the vast majority of pets evacuated during an emergency are not reunited with their owners.
Business owners and operators need to ensure that their organizations and facilities are prepared and ready to handle all hazards that may occur. Not only is preparedness essential for emergencies, but it also lays the groundwork for business continuity and related risk management strategies.
Pittsburgh has a number of private sector associations that provide emergency management information and real-time alerts of emergencies which may impact your business.
- Currently, Pittsburgh Emergency Management Agency is in the process of developing evacuation plans for the city. As these plans are made available to the public, they will be posted on this site.
- All business owners and operators should develop plans for, first, evacuating staff and visitors from their facility in case of an emergency and, second, evacuating staff from the city and re-establishing operations at an offsite location.
- As part of the National Infrastructure Protection Plan, we are inventorying and assessing Critical Infrastructure in the City. Part of this program includes conducting free risk assessments on these facilities, conducted by a team of subject matter experts, called the Asset Risk Evaluation and Survey (ARES) Team. The information obtained in the assessments is protected from disclosure under federal law.
- For more information, contact the Office of Emergency Management and Homeland Security.
- In the event your business receives a suspicious package, contact 911.
- In the event your business receives a bomb or other type of threat, contact 911 immediately.