WASHINGTON, D.C. (March 9, 2015) Mayor William Peduto is one of 17 municipal officials nationwide who has been named to a bipartisan 2016 Presidential Election Task Force by the National League of Cities.
The task force will seek to raise the visibility of city issues during the upcoming presidential election cycle, and develop an actionable plan that includes tools and resources for NLC members to engage candidates on city issues.
“More than 80 percent of Americans live in urban areas, and it is imperative that the issues cities face be at the forefront in the 2016 presidential election,” said National League of Cities President and Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker, who named the task force. “Our goal is to ensure that future Administrations understand the needs of America’s cities and support the policies and partnerships that enable cities, and the nation, grow and prosper.”
“Pittsburgh and other cities have proven themselves as strong partners with the federal government, and the White House, in implementing policy changes that help all Americans,” Mayor Peduto said. “I’m honored to be part of this important effort to keep that city-driven momentum going.”
At the initial planning meeting tomorrow during NLC’s Congressional City Conference in Washington, D.C., the task force will begin developing a plan of action for the organization and its members by considering policy issues for a city platform and engagement strategies. The task force will then lead NLC’s participation at both national political conventions, and in the transition to the next administration.
2016 Presidential Election Task Force Members:
· Karen Freeman-Wilson, mayor, Gary, Ind., Task Force Co-Chair
· Betsy Price, mayor, Fort Worth, Texas, Task Force Co-Chair
· Pedro Segarra, mayor, Hartford, Conn., Task Force Co-Chair
· Dan Gilmartin, executive director, Michigan Municipal League
· Alan Kemp, executive director, Iowa League of Cities
· Kevin Kramer, councilmember, Louisville, Ky.
· Dot LaMarche, vice mayor, Farragut, Tenn.
· Cindy Lerner, mayor, Pinecrest, Fla.
· Sam Mamet, director, Colorado Municipal League
· Paul Meyer, executive director, North Carolina League of Municipalities
· William Peduto, mayor, Pittsburgh, Pa.
· David Sander, vice mayor, Rancho Cordova, Calif.
· Judy Silva, executive director, New Hampshire Municipal Association
· Mike Sittig, executive director, Florida League of Cities
· Craig Thurmond, mayor, Broken Arrow, Okla.
· Randal Wallace, councilmember, Myrtle Beach, S.C.
· Nan Whaley, mayor, Dayton, Ohio
NLC Media Contact:
Senior Associate, Strategic Communications
National League of Cities (NLC)
202-626-3186 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday, March 9, 2015
City of Pittsburgh
More Urban Affairs articles
Mayor William Peduto Announces Agreement Ensuring Affordable Housing in Crawford Square
Jan 28, 2016
Mayor Peduto, Councilman Lavelle and City Housing Authority Applying for Federal Grant for Middle Hill
Jan 19, 2016
Community Meeting Thursday On National Initiative for Building Community Trust and Justice
May 18, 2015