Description of Program
The Love Your Block initiative invites organizations to submit project proposals that can transform their blocks with up to $1,500 and the support of City Departments. With these grant funds, winning groups can purchase supplies, engage their neighbors, and roll up their sleeves to build resilience their neighborhood – block by block! Projects may include, but are not limited to:
- Creating Green Spaces: Community gardens, pocket parks, public spaces, or vacant lot cleanups
- Implementing Stormwater Capture: Rain gardens, bioswales, green bump-outs, rain barrels
- Enhancing Parks: Painting structures, creating garden beds, picnic areas, shrub / flower plantings
- Streetscaping: Planting trees & flowers along curbs / entry-ways, sprucing up neighborhood signs
- Removing Graffiti and Litter: Tire dumping, recycling waste, swapping graffiti for murals, etc.
- Sprucing up of Pathways: Mulching / clearing overgrowth on trails, creating safe school walking routes
- Encouraging Emergency Preparedness: Creating emergency kits, establishing phone trees, community cohesion plans, flood protection
This City of Pittsburgh initiative was initially developed as part of servePGH, the City’s high-impact service plan to engage citizen volunteers to tackle Pittsburgh’s greatest challenges.
To be notified when the next round of applications is available, please sign up for our newsletter.