Disability Benefits

What are the procedures for applying for disability (non-work related) or occupational disability (work-related) pension benefits?

  • In each case you must be off work for at least six consecutive months. After the six month period you may apply for a disability or occupational disability pension benefit by signing a pension application and submitting to the Board a statement of "total and permanent disability" from your treating physician. You will then be scheduled to be examined by three physicians who are designated by the Pension Board. In order to be eligible for a disability pension, all three physicians must concur with your treating physician that you are 'totally and permanently" disabled from performing the duties required of your job.

Will my Occupational Disability pension be offset by my Worker's Compensation payments?

  • Yes, if you were hired after December 31, 1987.

What happens to my pension status while I am receiving worker's compensation or long term disability payments?

  • A person receiving worker's compensation or long term disability is not creating any pension credit. The reason is that such a person is not working nor is he receiving a salary or wage. Such a person is receiving a particular benefit. His pension status is similar to a person on a leave of absence.


The phone lines within the City of Pittsburgh's real estate division are not working due to a mechanical malfunction. Please use the email address RealEstateTaxInfo@pittsburghpa.gov if you need to contact the real estate division for any reason. If email is unavailable to you, please call 412-255-2786 and leave a voicemail. The real estate staff will return all calls as quickly as possible. Thank you.