This web page is intended to provide interested persons with information concerning employment with the Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire and is subject to change as needed.
We are not currently recruiting for the position of Firefighter. However, we encourage you to visit our Online Employment Center. Register online and then submit an online Job Interest Card for the Firefighter position. Once the next recruitment period begins, you will automatically be notified via email to officially apply for the position.
On the left, click the play button to view the Firefighter Recruitment, Testing and Hiring preparation video, which includes a simulation of the Firefighter Physical Ability examination.
Those who applied for Firefighter Recruit must be:
- At least eighteen years of age at the time of filing the application.
- A resident of the City of Pittsburgh at the time of filing the online application and continuously remain a Pittsburgh resident up to and throughout employment.
- In excellent physical condition with vision corrected to at least 20/30.
- Possess a current, valid Class C Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Operator's License and also be able to obtain and maintain throughout employment the Department of Public Safety, Fire Bureau-Driver's Certification of Emergency Apparatus.
- Able to obtain and maintain the Pennsylvania Emergency Medical Technician Certificate.
The City of Pittsburgh, as a matter of policy, conducts a pre-employment and promotional background investigation on all applicants being considered for positions. Applicants may be disqualified from consideration based on the results of their background investigation (as it relates to the job for which the applicant is being considered).
- Firefighter Recruit: $141.05 per day while in the Training Academy.
- $36,674 per year upon graduation from the Training Academy. (2012 Salary)
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Vision and dental insurance
- Pension plan
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Uniform allowance
- Promotional opportunities
(Benefits may be modified based on collective bargaining unit terms.)