This web page is intended to provide interested persons with information concerning employment with the Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire and is subject to change as needed.
We will be recruiting for the position of Firefighter in late 2015/early 2016. Please register online and submit an interest card for the position of Firefighter Recruit at our Online Employment Center at Online Employment Center. If you have not already done so, Register online and then submit your online application for the Firefighter position. Remember to review the Firefighter Recruit Job Announcement and the Critical Examination and Selection Information Sheet.
Those who apply for Firefighter Recruit must be:
- At least eighteen years of age at the time of filing the online application.
- A resident of the City of Pittsburgh at the time of filing the online application and continuously remain a Pittsburgh resident up to and throughout employment.
- In excellent physical condition with vision corrected to at least 20/30.
- Possess a current, valid Class C Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Operator's License and also be able to obtain and maintain throughout employment the Department of Public Safety, Fire Bureau-Driver's Certification of Emergency Apparatus.
- Able to obtain and maintain the Pennsylvania Emergency Medical Technician Certificate.
The City of Pittsburgh, as a matter of policy, conducts a pre-employment and promotional background investigation on all applicants being considered for positions. Applicants may be disqualified from consideration based on the results of their background investigation (as it relates to the job for which the applicant is being considered).
- Firefighter Recruit: $147.00 per day while in the Training Academy.
- $38,155 per year upon graduation from the Training Academy. (2014 Salary)
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Vision and dental insurance
- Pension plan
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Uniform allowance
- Promotional opportunities
(Benefits may be modified based on collective bargaining unit terms.)