Mechanical Device License
When You Need a Mechanical Amusement Devices License
Anyone who sets up or establishes a mechanical or electronic device for amusement and profit must obtain a license from the License Officer.
How to Obtain a Mechanical Amusement Devices License
1) Download and complete the License Application
2) Print the application, fill it out completely, and mail it, or bring it in person, with all other Additional Information and Current Fee.
- Consult the Current Fee Schedule.
City of Pittsburgh
Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections
200 Ross Street Room 320
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
3) Make all checks payable to Treasurer, City of Pittsburgh:
Once the new application is processed, an inspection will be scheduled, after which, the license can be issued to the applicant. License renewal inspections occur as part of the departmental maintenance schedule.
Additional Information Required
When applying for a Mechanical Devices License, you must submit the following materials:
- The name of the licensee (your name), proof of identification, and any other name under which your business is to be conducted.
- The address of the business you are licensing.
- Name and address of the premises owner.
- Name, address, and telephone number of business establishment owner or proprietor where machines are to be installed and used, and lease term if applicable.
- Name, address, and telephone number of owner of each device.
- A list, provided by the device owner on January 1 and July 1 of each year, of the names and locations of each mechanical device and jukebox located within the City.
- If the owner is a corporate entity or partnership, the name address, and phone number of each individual who owns more than 5 percent of the corporate entity or partnership, and the names, address, and phone number for each individual who lends more than $500 to the corporate entity or partnership.
- A list of the types of devices located on the premises.
- Registration -To place machines in the City you need to be registered.
- City Tax ID & Letter from the Department of Finance showing that business is current in taxes
- Valid commercial occupancy for the business where the machines are located.
Notice for Mechanical Device Renewals in 2016
In an effort to improve our billing and processing, we are now requiring the same information to be provided on all applications, including renewals. Applications and documents must be reviewed individually to ensure compliance with city ordinances. Incomplete applications will not be processed.