Board of Appeals
Under the provisions of the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code, a property owner or their agent, may file a variance request with the Board of Appeals. The Board accepts variances for the following reasons:
- The true intent of the Uniform Construction Code was incorrectly interpreted.
- The provisions of the Uniform Construction Code do not apply.
- An equivalent form of construction is to be used.
Click here to get an application, see meeting schedule and past agendas.
Board of License and Inspection Review
The purpose of the Board of License and Inspection Review is to ensure independent oversight to the license and inspections determinations reached by the License Officer and Code Officials of the City of Pittsburgh Department of Permits, Licenses and Inspections (PLI).
The Board of License and Inspection Review adjudicate appeals related to Title VII Business Licensing and Title X Building, Chapter 1004, International Property Maintenance Code of the Pittsburgh City Code in duties as follows:
- To hear and decide appeals of orders, decisions or determinations made by the building official relative to the application and interpretation of this code.
- To hear and decide on requests for variances of this code. The board may not hear appeals on matters relating to accessibility.
- To rule on requests for extensions of time for compliance.
- To act in an advisory capacity, to the Code Official and City Council, regarding proposed amendments to this code.
Click here to get an application, read the bylaws and rules and regulations, see current members, and get meeting dates and agendas.
Zoning Board of Adjustment
PLI is the enforcement arm for the Zoning and Development Review Division of City Planning. Although you may recieve the Notice of Violation from our Department, all appeals for zoning violations should go through the Zoning Board of Adjustment. Please visit their website for more information.