Commercial Communication Tower Permit
COMMUNICATION TOWERS ARE NO LONGER A STAND-ALONE PERMIT. VISIT ONESTOPPGH, APPLY FOR A COMMERCIAL ELECTRICAL PERMIT, AND SELECT "COMMUNICATION ANTENNA SYSTEM" AS THE SCOPE OF WORK.
Communication Tower Permits, now included as a work scope type under Commercial Electrical Permits, are required to modify existing communication antenna installations (towers, monopoles, and roof and building mounted equipment) and to install new communication antennas.
Any Commercial Electrical Permits pertaining to Communication Towers shall be performed by an Electrical Contractor registered with the City of Pittsburgh. Commercial Electrical Permits pertaining to Communication Towers that include structural modifications or new installations shall require Special Inspections.
How to Get a Commercial Electrical Permit for a Communication Tower:
The Permit application process is two-fold.
- The first component is review and approval by the Zoning Department for the land use as regulated by the Zoning Code.
- The second component is review and approval by PLI for life safety as regulated by the current Building Codes.
The property owner, or authorized agent, will need to first apply in person at the Zoning Counter located at 200 Ross Street, 3rd Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15219. After the work is approved by the Zoning Department, the applicant will proceed to the File Room and then then PLI's Engineering Counter, both located on the 3rd floor of 200 Ross St. Please visit the Zoning website to review requirements. Any questions should be directed to email@example.com or by calling 412-255-2246.
For the PLI review, the following will be required:
- Please see our Commercial Electrical Permits page for the Commerial Electrical Permit form.
- Two sets of drawings prepared and sealed by a Pennsylvania licensed Architect/Engineer.
Permits are logged in and reviewed in the order in which they were reviewed. After the Plans Examining Engineer has reviewed the drawing, they will contact the Architect/Engineer with any revisions or notify the applicant that the permit is ready for pick up.
After the permit has been approved the following will be required in order to issue the permit:
- An Electrical Contractor with a valid City of Pittsburgh registration (EL#).
- A check/money order to pay the permit fee, due when permit is issued. We accept credit card payments at the counter. There will be a 2% + $0.25 convienence fee in addition to the permit fee.
After the permit has been issued, it is the responsibility of the Electrical Contractor to contact the Building Inspector indicated on the permit to schedule inspections.