Work NOT Requiring a Permit
WORK NOT REQUIRING A BUILDING PERMIT OR ZONING APPROVAL (ROZA – RECORD OF ZONING APPROVAL):
- One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouse and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet and they are accessory to a single-family or two-family dwelling.
- Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a single-family or two-family dwelling that are less than 24” deep, do not exceed 5,000 gallons and are installed entirely above grade.
- Swings and other playground equipment accessory to a single-family or two-family dwelling.
- Retaining walls 4'-0" or less in height, measured from the lowest level of grade to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or IIIA liquids.
- Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade, and not over any basement or story below grade and not part of an accessible route.
- Window awnings that are attached to a single-family dwelling, two-family dwelling or Group U occupancy structure, are supported by an exterior wall and do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall.
- Movable cases, counters and partitions that are not over 5 feet 9 inches in height.
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops and similar finish work. (Exterior painting to locally designated historic structures or structures in locally designated historic districts requires a Certificate of Appropriateness.)
WORK REQUIRING ZONING APPROVAL (ROZA) BUT NO BUILDING PERMIT:
- Fences 6 feet or less in height.
- Uncovered decks where the deck floor is 30 inches or less above grade and are accessory to a single-family or two-family dwelling.
- Carports (open on at least two sides) and greenhouses accessory to a single-family or two-family dwelling.
- Agricultural buildings used to store agricultural products, horticultural products and/or farm animals. Structures containing habitable spaces; spaces used to process, treat or package agricultural products; and/or a spaces occupied by the general public shall require a building permit.
- Oil derricks.
- Commercial shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes, not including service systems.
- Water tanks supported directly on grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to the diameter or the width does not exceed 2 to 1.
- Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery – if exterior to a building or structure.
- Electrical equipment used for radio and television transmissions.
WORK NOT REQUIRING AN ELECTRICAL PERMIT OR ZONING APPROVAL (ROZA):
- Minor repair and maintenance work that includes the replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.
- Electrical equipment used for radio and television transmissions. The provisions of the Uniform Construction Code apply to equipment and wiring for power supply and the installation of towers and antennas.
- The installation of a temporary system for testing or servicing of electrical equipment or apparatus.
- Installation or rearrangement of communications wiring in a single-family or two-family dwelling.
WORK NOT REQUIRING A MECHANICAL PERMIT (INCLUDING FUEL GAS APPLIANCES/EQUIPMENT) OR ZONING APPROVAL (ROZA)
- A portable heating appliance, portable ventilation equipment, a portable cooling unit, and/or a portable evaporative cooler.
- Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make such equipment unsafe.
- Steam, hot or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated under the Uniform Construction Code.
- A self-contained refrigeration system containing 10 pounds or less of refrigerant and placed into action by motors that are not more than 1 horsepower.