Commercial Communication Tower Permit
Communication Tower Permits are required to modify existing communication antenna installations (towers, monopoles, and roof and building mounted equipment) and to install new communication antennas.
Any Communication Tower permits issued on or after April 20, 2016 shall be performed by an Electrical Contractor registered with the City of Pittsburgh. Communication Tower permits that include structural modifications or new installations shall require Special Inspections.
How to Get a Communication Tower Permit
The Communication Tower Permit application process is two-fold. The first component is review and approval by the Zoning Department for the land use as regulated by the Zoning Code. The second component is review and approval by PLI for life safety as regulated by the current Building Codes.
- The property owner, or authorized agent, will need to first apply in person at the Zoning Counter located at 200 Ross Street, 3rd Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15219. A separate check or money order will be required to pay the Zoning fee.
- After the work is approved by the Zoning Department, the applicant will proceed to the File Room and then then PLI's Engineering Counter, both located on the 3rd floor of 200 Ross St.
For the PLI review, the following will be required:
- Completed Communication Tower Permit Application Form.
- Two sets of drawings prepared and sealed by a Pennsylvania licensed Architect/Engineer.
Communication Tower Permits are logged in and reviewed in the order in which they were reviewed. After the Plans Examining Engineer has reviewed the drawing, they will contact the Architect/Engineer with any revisions or notify the applicant that the permit is ready for pick up.
After the permit has been approved the following will be required in order to issue the permit:
- An Electrical Contractor with a valid City of Pittsburgh registration (EL#).
- A check/money order to pay the permit fee.
After the permit has been issued, it is the responsibility of the Electrical Contractor to contact the Building Inspector indicated on the permit to schedule inspections.