Commercial Fire Alarm
Fire Alarm Permit
TPA Plan Review is no longer accepted as of 1/1/2018. PLI will review all drawings and applications for all Fire Alarm Permits. The standard permit fees will be assessed.
Please review our Fire Alarm Permit Plan Review checklist prior to submission.
A fire alarm permit is required to modify an existing fire alarm system or install a new fire alarm system. All work under a fire alarm permit must be performed by an Electrical Contractor registered with the City of Pittsburgh.
Items Required for Permit
- Fire Alarm Application completed by the registered Electrical Contractor with their original ink signature. Incomplete forms WILL be returned without processing the fire alarm application.
- Two sets of drawings prepared and sealed by PA licensed Engineer/Architect.
- If work is related to a building permit, a copy of the approved building permit.
- All fire alarm permits require electrical permits.
- A check or money order for the permit fee.
2018 Fee Schedule
The permit and license fees for the Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections undergo periodic adjustments.
Please consult the current year Fee Schedule.
Note once a permit or license has been issued, refunds are not provided.
How to Apply:
- Submit the Fire Alarm Application, check/money order and two copies of drawings to the Engineering Counter at 200 Ross St, 3rd floor or mail them to:
City of Pittsburgh
Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections
200 Ross Street Room 320
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
- Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections staff reviews and processes the application. Please be aware that fire alarm permits are logged into our queue and processed in the order in which they are received. Once issued, the permit will be mailed to the registered Electrical Contractor.
The permit will list the assigned Fire Inspector and provide their phone number. It is the responsibility of the permit holder to arrange for all required inspections by contacting the Fire Inspector. Inspectors are in the office Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m., and are in the field for the remainder of the day.
Please note you will need to submit a Statement of Compliance in order to schedule the inspection.
Required inspections include:
- A rough-in inspection before any work is concealed.
- A final inspection when all work is complete. A Record of Completion will need to be submitted prior to final inspection.
The following additional forms may be required depending on the scope of work:
- Smoke Control Certificate
- Stair Pressurization Certificate
All Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections fees change annually. Please consult the Current Fee Schedule.