Electrical Contractor License
An Electrical Contractor's License is required to perform electrical work within the City of Pittsburgh.
Please note that all business licenses expire a year from the date of issuance. Also, license holders with expired licenses will be required to pay a penalty fee in addition to a renewal fee. License holders who let their licenses lapse will be required to submit all new documentation, including test results, upon renewing their licenses.
Please contact our group email at PLIapptech@pittsburghpa.gov if you have any questions.
How to Get a New Electrical Contractor's License
Download and print the application, fill it out completely, include required documents and mail it, or bring it in person, with check or money order payable to Treasurer, City of Pittsburgh
City of Pittsburgh
Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections
200 Ross Street Room 320
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Required Documents for New Applications
- International Code Council certification for the National Standard Master Electrician Exam.
- Must be 18 years of age or older. Proof of identification required.
- Must be able to read and speak English.
- Proof of registration with the City of Pittsburgh’s Finance Department (City Tax ID letter)
- Finance can be reached at 412-255-2543 Opt 1 or 414 Grant St (City County Building) Room 207 Pittsburgh, PA 15219
- A certificate of insurance listing the City of Pittsburgh as certificate holder, showing Contractor’s General Liability Insurance with limits not less than $300,000
- One of the following:
- Certificate of attainment in Electrical Wiring from an accredited school and have at least 2 years of experience working as an electrician. You must provide a notarized statement of experience from an employer or licensed electrician.
- Ten years of working as a registered Electrician in another state or municipality. A copy of license or registration required.
- Ten years of experience working with a City of Pittsburgh registered electrician. You must provide a notarized letter from the experienced electrician as well as his/her license number.
All Department of Permits, Licenses and Inspections fees change annually, always consult the Current Fee Schedule below.
Note once a permit or license has been issued, refunds are not provided.
How to Schedule Your Exam
All ICC exams are proctored by Pearson Vue, and can be scheduled through their website. The approved reference materials for this exam are the 2008 National Electrical Code and any edition of Ugly's Electrical References. View the exam bulletin for a detailed breakdown of test content.
Click the link here, select "Non-authorized Candidates" and follow these instructions to schedule your exam.
- Type or paste one of the following codes in the form entry box beneath the "Available Exams" heading: F16, M16, N16, of W16 and hit Enter/Return. This will bring up a link for the National Standard Master Electrician Exam.
- Clicking this link will bring up the test details. View the testing policies for this exam and click "Schedule this Exam".
- You will have to create an account with Pearson Vue prior to scheduling and paying for your exam. Once you create your non-authorized contractors account, return to the exam page.
- Schedule your exam at one of the two testing centers in the Pittsburgh region, and pay for your exam. Print out confirmations of your scheduled exam and payment. Make sure to arrive early for your exam on your test date.
How to Renew an Electrical Contractor's License
- Download and print the application, fill it out completely, include required documents and mail it, or bring it in person, with a check or money order payable to Treasurer, City of Pittsburgh.
Required Documents for Renewal Applications:
(If your licensed has lapsed all New Application requirements apply)
- Proof of identification. ( Driver’s License or Photo ID)
- A certificate of insurance - listing the City of Pittsburgh as Certificate Holder showing Contractor's General Liability Insurance with limits not less than $300,000. See example.
- Workers Compensation Insurance, as required by state law. If you are not required to carry Workers Compensation insurance, you must complete an affidavit of exemption.
- Proof of registration for all City Taxes, i.e. City Tax ID letter from City Finance Department.
- Finance can be reached at 412-255-2543 Opt 1 or 414 Grant St. Rm 207 Pittsburgh, PA 15219
- A COPY of the International Code Council's (ICC) Certification for Pennsylvania Standard Master Electrician's Exam - #701 (Pittsburgh) or National Standard Mater Electrician’s Exam..