General Contractor License
A City of Pittsburgh General Contractor's License is required for all work performed under a Commercial Building Permit. A General Contractor license is also required for the following permits:
- Construction of new one or two family dwellings.
- Renovations and/or additions to one or two family dwellings that are rental or investment property.
- Demolition permits for commercial or residential structures.
How to Get a General Contractor's License
1) Download and complete the License Application.
2) Print the application, fill it out completely, and mail it, or bring it in person, with all other Additional Information and Current Fee.
- Consult the Current Fee Schedule.
3) Make all checks payable to Treasurer, City of Pittsburgh:
Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections
200 Ross Street Room 320
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
- Proof of identification, verifying age is 18 years or older.
- A certificate of insurance listing City of Pittsburgh as Certificate Holder showing Contractor's General Liability Insurance with limits not less than $300,000. If insurance coverage expires within 30 days of application, the applicant will be required to renew with their insurance prior to issuance.
- Proof of registration with the City of Pittsburgh’s Finance Department, and letter showing that business is current in taxes. Finance can be reached at 412-255-2543 Opt 1 or 414 Grant St (City County Building) Room 207 Pittsburgh, PA 15219.
- Check or money order made payable to the Treasurer – City of Pittsburgh. PLI accepts credit card payments at the county; there is a 2% + .25 convenience charge for all credit card payments