Anyone who welds or uses welding torches on or for a structure (except those who shop weld exclusively) must obtain a license from the Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections. The license will specify the type of welding for which issued.
- Proof of identification and age. Must be at least 18 years old.
- Ability to read and speak the English language.
- Test certifications meeting American Welding Society standards within two years of application.
- Evidence of employment as welder within 90 days of the commencement of intended work or during the 90 days subsequent to your qualification test.
- Check or money order made payable to Treasurer, City of Pittsburgh for License Fee.
How to Get a Welder's License
1) Download and complete the License Application.
2) Print the application, fill it out completely, and mail it, or bring it in person, with all other Additional Information and Current Fee.
- Consult the Current Fee Schedule.
3) Make all checks payable to Treasurer, City of Pittsburgh.
Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections
200 Ross Street Room 320
Pittsburgh, PA 15219