Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections
Stationary Power Engineer License

Stationary (Power) Engineer License 

Stationary Engineer licensing and testing is regulated by Title 7 - Chapter 745 of City of Pittsburgh, Code of Ordinances.  The  Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections require and issue licenses for Stationary Engineers and Boiler Firemen who work within the City limits.  Chapter 745 is titled “Power Engineers” to reflect wording recognized nationally for this occupation.

Testing for new Stationary Engineers is performed by the National Institute for the Uniform Licensing of Power Engineers (NIULPE) of Pennsylvania, Incorporated. NIULPE of PA may be contacted at 412-276-4445.

Please note that all business licenses expire a year from the date of issuance.  Also, license holders with expired licenses will be required to pay a penalty fee in addition to a renewal fee.

How To Obtain a Stationary (Power) Engineer License 

1.     Download and complete the License Application.  

2.     Attach the required documents for new Stationary Engineers applications:

  • Copy of your NIULPE certification and NIULPE card OR a copy of your passing NIULPE exam score sheet

  • Legible copy of valid photo id (driver's license, passport, non-driver identification card)

  • Check or money order for the Current Fee.

4.     Submit your application materials to PLI in person or via mail.

3.     Make all checks payable to Treasurer, City of Pittsburgh.

City of Pittsburgh
Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections
200 Ross Street Room 320
Pittsburgh, PA  15219

All Department of Permits, Licenses and Inspections fees change annually. Consult the Current Fee Schedule before submitting your application.

Scheduling Your NIULPE Exam:

  1.  Follow this link and select the "Pennsylvania" application.

  2. Print and complete the application in its entirety.  Instructions for completing and submitting your application are included within the introduction.

  3. NIULPE will contact you with your testing date and location once they have processed your application.  They advise applying no less than 60 days prior to your desired testing date. 

Instructions for Renewal:

Current license holders can renew annually without re-testing if:

  • They complete 0.8 continuing education units annually.  

  • Submit proof of completion of continuing education including the names of the training activities, the dates of the training, who provided the training, and the number of contact hours for each activity.

  • Lapsed licenses can be renewed without additional NIULPE testing, if the following requirements are met:

    • Proof of completion of continuing education accounting for each year of inactivity.   

    • Payment of late fee.

NIULPE license holders can have their City of Pittsburgh license reflect NIULPE classification if a copy of their NIULPE license is submitted upon renewal or license application.


Department Contacts
Main Line
Permit Counter
City Funded Demolition

Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections
200 Ross Street, 3rd Floor
Pittsburgh, PA 15219

what's this?