Mobile Vehicle Vendor
Vending and peddling activities within the City of Pittsburgh are regulated by the Code of Ordinances Title 7 - Chapter 719 Vendors and Peddlers. Ticket reselling is regulated by the Code of Ordinances Title 7 - Chapter 726 Ticket Reselling. A vendor or peddler license is required to:
- Sell or offer for sale goods, wares, merchandise, meats, fish, vegetables, fruits, farm products, or provisions by foot, vehicle or at an approved location.
- Resell tickets.
A mobile vehicle vendor's license is also required to operate a food truck within the city of Pittsburgh. A Food Truck is defined as a food establishment that is located upon a vehicle, or which is pulled by a vehicle, where food or beverage is cooked, prepared, and served for individual portion service such as a mobile food kitchen.
How to Get a Mobile Vehicle Vendor License
1) Download and complete the License Application. Consult the application checklist or the Additional Requirements section for requirements.
2) Print the application, fill it out completely, and mail it, or bring it in person, with all other supplemental information and Current Fee.
- Consult the Current Fee Schedule.
3) Make all checks payable to Treasurer, City of Pittsburgh.
Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections
200 Ross Street Room 320
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
All Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections fees change annually. Consult the Current Fee Schedule.
- For a complete and detailed list of all requirements, please consult the Rules and Regulations.
- Proof of identification and age. Must be at least 18 years old.
- Three photos of the vehicle, including front, side, and interior views.
- A copy of your vehicle registration.
- A tax ID letter from the Finance Department registering your business for city taxes.
- A Certificate of Insurance showing general liability coverage for the applicant at the location where licensed activity will take place, and listing the City of Pittsburgh as the certificate holder and additionally insured. The insurance expiration date must be at least 30-days after the date of licensed activity start date. If not, please provide a documentation from your insurer showing intent to extend coverage and list the expiration date as thirty-one (31)days after the licensed activity start date.
- Worker’s Compensation Insurance: A Certificate of Insurance showing Worker's Compensation coverage for the applicant business and listing the City of Pittsburgh as the certificate holder. If the business does not have any employees, then upload a notarized statement attesting that there are no employees.
- Proof of current and up-to-date auto insurance for the vending vehicle.
- A copy of your Allegheny Health Department License (if serving or preparing any consumable product).
- A valid PA Driver's License.
- If the License Holder is a Partnership or LLC, and not an individual, proof of that legal partnership will be required if multiple owners will be working on the vehicle. The license holder will be the Business itself, and each of the individual partners will receive a license card.
- Check or money order made payable to Treasurer, City of Pittsburgh for License Fee.
- Please consult the maps of prohibited vending locations in the City of Pittsburgh. Vending within the shaded boundaries is not permitted.
- The total number of Vendor Employees is identified and included in the license fee calculation. Consult the fee schedule for the total amount.