Occupant Load Placard Permit
Occupant load placards are required for all assembly spaces as defined by the Building Code with an occupant load of 50 or more. Placards are also issued to certify occupant loads of 49 or less under atypical situations due to exiting or other building code related issues.
Items Required for Permit
- Valid Certificate of Occupancy for the assembly use. If there is no Certificate of Occupancy, an Occupancy Permit must be obtained.
- Drawings prepared and sealed by a PA licensed Architect or Engineer showing compliance for the occupant load proposed. The drawings must include room names, exits, egress capacity, proposed seating arrangement and occupant load calculations based on area.
- Completed Occupant Load Placard Application.
- A check/money order to pay the permit fee, due when permit is issued. We accept credit card payments at the counter. There will be a 2% + $0.25 convienence fee in addition to the permit fee.
How to Apply
- Submit completed Occupant Load Placard Application along with two hard copy sets of drawings to the Engineering Counter located at 200 Ross Street, 3rd Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15219.
- The drawings will be logged into the Plan Review Queue and will be reviewed in the order in which they are received.
- After the Plans Examining Engineer has reviewed the drawing, they will contact the Architect/Engineer with any revisions or notify the applicant that the permit is ready for pick up.
The permit will list the assigned Combined Construction Inspector and provide their phone number. It is the responsibility of the permit holder to arrange for all required inspections by contacting the Inspector.
Occupant Load Placard Issuance
After the Building Inspector has signed off on the Occupant Load Permit, the application goes through a final review within PLI before it is issued. The Occupant Load Placard will be mailed out to the Property Owner, unless the applicant elects to pick it up in person. The Placard must be prominently displayed within the space.