HVAC Contractor License
An HVAC Contractor License is required to the install, erect, enlarge, repair, alter, remove, convert or replace of any mechanical system within the City of Pittsburgh. Please note that International Code Council certification is a prerequisite for obtaining an HVAC License (see specifics in Additional Requirements).
Please note that all business licenses expire a year from the date of issuance. Also, license holders with expired licenses will be required to pay a penalty fee in addition to a renewal fee. License holders who let their licenses lapse will be required to submit all new documentation, including test results, upon renewing their licenses.
HVAC License Extension
To accommodate our customer's requests and their effort to follow City Ordinance by getting an active tax account, PLI will extend the deadline for HVAC and Electrical licences until May 6, 2016. All applications received in our office by Friday, May 6, 2016, will not pay a late fee.
We will start assessing late fees to all applications received by our office after May 6, 2016. This will also include mailed applications. All mailed applications received by our office after May 6, 2016 will incur a late fee.
For those sending applications after the May 6, 2016 deadline, the correct payment amount is $371.00. This includes the $278.00 license fee plus a $93.00 late fee.
Please contact our group email at PLIapptech@pittsburghpa.gov if you have any questions.
How to Get an HVAC License Extension
1) Download and complete the License Application.
2) Print the application, fill it out completely, and mail it, or bring it in person, with all other Additional Information and Current Fee.
- o Consult the Current Fee Schedule.
3) Make all checks payable to Treasurer, City of Pittsburgh.
City of Pittsburgh
Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections
200 Ross Street Room 320
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
All Department of Permits, Licenses and Inspections fees change annually. Consult the Current Fee Schedule below:
2017 Fee Schedule
The permit and license fees for the Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections undergo periodic adjustments.
Please consult the current year Fee Schedule.
2017 Fee Schedule
Note once a permit or license has been issued, refunds are not provided.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must be able to read and speak the English.
- Proof of identification.
- A certificate of insurance listing the City of Pittsburgh as Certificate Holder showing Contractor's General Liability Insurance with limits not less than $300,000. See example.
- Proof of registration for all City Taxes, i.e. City Tax ID certificate from City Finance Department.
- Check or money order made payable to Treasurer, City of Pittsburgh for License Fee.
- International Code Council certification for Pennsylvania Standard Master Mechanical Contractor - Exam #670 (Pittsburgh).
How to Schedule Your Exam
All ICC exams are proctored by Pearson Vue, and can be scheduled through their website. The approved reference materials for this exam are the 2009 International Mechanical Code®, the 2009 International Fuel Gas Code®, and the 2008 National Electrical Code. View the exam bulletin for a detailed breakdown of test content.
Click the link here, select "Non-authorized Candidates" and follow these instructions to schedule your exam.
- Type or paste the code 670-PA-PI in the form entry box beneath the "Available Exams" heading and hit Enter/Return. This will bring up a link for the 670-Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh) Standard Master Mechanical Exam.
- Clicking this link will bring up the test details. View the testing policies for this exam and click "Schedule this Exam".
- You will have to create an account with Pearson Vue prior to scheduling and paying for your exam. Once you create your non-authorized contractors account, return to the exam page.
- Schedule your exam at one of the two testing centers in the Pittsburgh region, and pay for your exam. Print out confirmations of your scheduled exam and payment. Make sure to arrive early for your exam on your test date.
How to Renew Your License
Fee: $278 for 2017, additional $93 if paid after expiration
Download and print the application, fill it out completely, include required documents and mail it, or bring it in person, with check or money order payable to Treasurer, City of Pittsburgh.
Required Documents for Renewal Applications
Lapsed licenses require all new documentation, including test results from the ICC
- Completed HVAC License Application
- Proof of identification. ( Driver’s License or Photo ID)
- A certificate of insurance - listing the City of Pittsburgh as Certificate Holder showing Contractor's General Liability Insurance with limits not less than $300,000. See example.
- City tax ID number, or City Tax ID letter from the Finance Department.
- A copy of the International Code Council certification for Pennsylvania Standard Master Mechanical Contractor - Exam #670 (Pittsburgh).
- Evidence that you have at least four years of experience in HVAC construction.