Stationary Power Engineer License

Stationary Engineer licensing and testing is regulated by Title 7 - Chapter 745 of City of Pittsburgh, Code of Ordinances. The Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections require and issue licenses for Stationary Engineers and Boiler Firemen who work within the City limits. Testing for new Stationary Engineers is performed by the National Institute for the Uniform Licensing of Power Engineers (NIULPE) of Pennsylvania, Incorporated. NIULPE of PA may be contacted at 412-276-4445.

Please note that all business licenses expire a year from the date of issuance. Also, license holders with expired licenses will be required to pay a penalty fee in addition to a renewal fee.

Additional Information and Requirements

  • For a complete and detailed list of all requirements, please consult the Rules and Regulations
  • Chapter 745 is titled “Power Engineers” to reflect wording recognized nationally for this occupation.
  • Current license holders can renew annually without re-testing if:
    • They complete 0.8 continuing education units annually.
    • Submit proof of completion of continuing education including the names of the training activities, the dates of the training, who provided the training, and the number of contact hours for each activity.
  • Lapsed licenses can be renewed without additional NIULPE testing, if the following requirements are met:
    • Proof of completion of continuing education accounting for each year of inactivity.
    • Payment of late fee.
  • NIULPE license holders can have City of Pittsburgh license reflect NIULPE classification if copy of NIULPE license is submitted at time of renewal or license application.

How to Get a Stationary (Power) Engineer License

1) Download and complete the License Application.

2) Attach a copy of your NIULPE certification, your NIULPE card, a legible copy of valid photo id (driver's license, passport, non-driver identification card) and a check or money order for the Current Fee.

3) Submit your application materials to the Licensing Counter in person or via mail.

4) Make all checks payable to Treasurer, City of Pittsburgh.

City of Pittsburgh
Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections
200 Ross Street Room 320
Pittsburgh, PA 15219