Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections
Code Violations and Information

Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections, Code Enforcement Division monitors and ensures compliance with various city codes and ordinances. 

It is through this Division that the City of Pittsburgh is able to ward off neighborhood blight and thus protect the property values, health, safety, and welfare of the various neighborhoods throughout the City.

The Code Enforcement Division responds to concerns about violations from citizens, other City Departments, and outside agencies. Systematic inspections are also performed throughout the City in an effort to keep developing situations from becoming worse.

Report all violations to the 311 Response Center by calling 311 or 412-255-2621 or filing an electronic form.


Types of Violations PLI Enforces

  • Weeds and/or debris on a property
  • Abandoned vehicles on private property only
  • Sidewalks that are a tripping hazard
  • Electrical Violations
  • Building Violations

Violations Enforced by Other City Departments

  • Police Bureau
    • Abandoned vehicles in the Public Right of Way 
  • Animal Control
    • ​Any issues involving animals
  • Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority (PWSA)
    • Sewer or catch basins
  • City Planning
    • Residential parking issues
  • Public Works
    • Snow and ice removal
    • Potholes

Violation Processing

After a 311 complaint is lodged, it is forwarded to a PLI Inspector. If there is a violation of City Ordinances, a violation notice is issued to the property owner. The notice lists all violations and specifies a time under which they need to be corrected.  If the property owner fails to comply within that time frame, legal action will be taken in Housing Court.

​Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I file a complaint? 
    • Call 311 Response Center at 311 or 412-255-2621 or file an electronic complaint form. After complaint is filed with 311, it is forwarded to the PLI Code Enforcement Inspectors or responsible department.
  • How can I determine who owns the property? 
    • You can use the Allegheny County Real Estate Website to find the owner of record for a property. Please note that PLI is not responsible for the accuracy of content on websites external to the City of Pittsburgh site.
  • What can PLI do about vacant properties owned by the URA or the City?
    •  If there is a violation with City Ordinances, the city or the URA will be cited. Steps will be taken to raze or clean and secure the building, whichever is applicable.
  • I received a notice of violation for my sidewalk but it is uplifted by a City tree,  what do I do?
    • If a City tree is uplifting the sidewalk in front of your property, the property owner is responsible to fix the sidewalk. The Forestry department will prune the tree prior to the replacement of the sidewalk. Please review the proper procedure here.
Department Contacts
Main Line
Permit Counter
City Funded Demolition

Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections
200 Ross Street, 3rd Floor
Pittsburgh, PA 15219

what's this?