Department of Public Safety
Top Tips to Protect Your Home
- Move valuables out of your basement. Do this ahead of time and don't be afraid to ask for and offer help from your neighbors, family, and friends.
- Learn how to protect your utilities and turn them off if compromised.
- Store important documents (insurance, deeds, ID) in waterproof box or container.
- Be a good neighbor! Check on your neighbors, especially if you live near elderly residents. Let safety officials know if they need extra support that family and friends cannot provide.
- Have an out-of-town contact if available to communicate with other concerned family and friends.