The Commission on Naming Public Properties created guidelines and specifications for naming or changing the name of a public property or facility. These guidelines and specifications include:
- How to receive requests and recommendations
- Provisions for public hearings and meetings
- A facility or public property can only be named or renamed for a person after that person has been deceased for at least three years
- Naming or renaming a public property or facility for an individual person can only be recommended and approved if that person has been deceased for at least three years
The Naming Commission completes a report on the property or facility being named or renamed. This report includes the historic, artistic, and cultural background of any facility proposed to be named or renamed.
For more information about the Naming Commission, review the legislation or contact:
- Andrew Dash, Director of City Planning; Chair
- Ross Chapman, Parks and Recreation; Vice Chair
- Kim Lucas, Acting Director of Mobility and Infrastructure; Secretary
- Chris Hornstein, Acting Director, Department of Public Works Facilities; Member
Submit a Naming Commission Application to be reviewed before the Commission. Applilcation deadline is 10 days before the Commission meeting.
Naming Commission Meetings
City Naming Commission meetings are held quarterly and are now meeting virtually. The meeting will be hosted on Zoom and streamed on YouTube Live on the Pittsburgh City Planning YouTube page. If you are not planning to testify, please watch the YouTube Live stream to allow those testifying to be able to join the meeting.
Virtual Naming Commission Instructions
Naming Commission is now meeting virtually. The meeting will be hosted on Zoom and streamed on YouTube Live on the Pittsburgh City Planning YouTube page. Previous meetings can also be found on the City Planning YouTube page.
To join the meeting:
To join the Zoom Meeting, use this link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81896836696
To join by phone call +1 301 715 8592 with Webinar ID: 818 9683 6696
If you are not planning to testify, please watch the YouTube Live stream to allow more space for those testifying to join the Zoom meeting.
- To stream the meeting live please visit our YouTube Channel at the time the meeting is scheduled to begin.
When you join the Zoom meeting you will be added as an attendee. This will allow you to watch the meeting, but will not allow you to speak until called upon to testify. To testify, please use the “raise hand” function to signify to the host that you would like to speak. You will be called on and given the opportunity to present at that time.
Agendas, presentations, and project information will be posted below by date for review and to accept public comment leading to the Board or Commission meeting. To provide public comment, you can:
- Email Danielle.Nicol@pittsburghpa.gov - Email testimony will be accepted until the business day before the meeting at 12 p.m.
- Join the Zoom Meeting and use raise hand function to request to speak.
- Call into the Zoom Meeting on your phone. If you wish to provide testimony press *9 to use the raise hand function, you will be called on to speak during the relevant agenda item.