The Commission on Naming Public Properties created guidelines and specifications for naming or changing the name of a public property of facility. These guidelines and specifications include:
- how to receive requests and recommendations
- provisions for public hearings and meetings
- a facility or public property can only be named or renamed for a person after that person has been deceased for at least three years
- naming or renaming a public property or facility for an individual person can only be recommended and approved if that person has been deceased for at least three (3) years.
The Naming Commission completes a report on the property or facility being named or renamed. This reports includes the historic, artistic and cultural background of any facility proposed to be named or renamed.
Meetings are held at 2:00 PM in:
First Floor Hearing Room
200 Ross Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15219.
For more information about the Naming Commission see the legislation or call:
- Mike Gable, Chair, Director of Public Works
- Ray Gastil, Vice Chair, Director of City Planning
- Jim Griffin, Secretary, Director of Parks and Recreation