What are consolidations and subdivisions?

A consolidation is when more than one lot is joined together legally to create a new single lot. A subdivision is when a lot is legally separated into more than one lot. 


Why may I be required to consolidate?

Reasons for consolidation include:

  • For tax reasons, so that a property owner receives only one bill.
  • To conform to the international building code, which does not allow construction across a lot line. 
  • For zoning requirements, to keep accessory structures such as a garage on the same lot as the primary structure.


Is a survey required?

Yes, the County will not accept your plan for recording if it is not stamped by a licensed professional.


How are consolidations and subdivisions approved?

Planning Commission approval is required to complete a consolidation or subdivision. Hearings on consolidations and subdivisions are held by the Planning Commission. Planning Commission meetings are held virtually. For information about the Planning Commission, visit


What is the first step in the process?

Please email a draft consolidation or subdivision plan to Zoning and Development Review for a preliminary approval before filing this application.


How long does the process take?

Under typical circumstances, it takes four to six weeks an application for a consolidation or subdivision to be approved by Planning Commission.


What are the submission requirements?

After preliminary approval from staff, applicants are required to submit an application and a subdivision or consolidation plan, prepared by a licensed surveyor, online through OneStopPGH.

The subdivision regulations are available here


How much is the fee?

The application fee is $300. Application Fees are non-refundable. 


Should the applicant attend the hearing?

Subdivisions and Consolidations are presented by Staff, who are able to  answer questions from  Planning Commission. Applicants can attend the hearing, but are not required to participate.


What happens when a consolidation or subdivision is approved?

The registered surveyor or applicant should contact the Zoning Division after the scheduled Commission Hearing to obtain the approved plan. The plan must then be taken to the Allegheny County Real Estate Department for recording. Their office is located at 542 Forbes Avenue. After the plan is recorded, the applicant is required to contact the City Planning Department with the Plan Book volume and page number.


For more information:

For any additional information, please email

// cookie policy