What we do.
The Department is responsible for the transportation of people and goods throughout the City of Pittsburgh, and for managing the operation of and access to the public right-of-way (the sidewalks, curbs, streets, and bridges that make up our network).
City's Mobility Principles:
- No one dies or is seriously injured traveling on city streets.
- Every household in Pittsburgh can access fresh fruits and vegetables within 20 minutes travel of home, without the requirement of a private vehicle.
- All trips less than 1 mile are easily and enjoyably achieved by non-vehicle travel.
- Streets and intersections can be intuitively navigated by an adolescent.
- The combined cost of transportation, housing and energy does not exceed 45% of household income for any income group.