How to Obtain Approval for an Encroachment on a City Dedicated Right-of-Way:
- Prior to obtaining an application at the Department of Mobility & Infrastructure, the applicant must prepare a letter of request. The letter should clearly state what you are requesting and why.
- A $250.00 application fee is due at the time of application. A $250.00 issuance fee is due when the encroachment is issued.
- Prepare a notarized petition signed by the applicant and the abutting property owner(s).
- Applicant fills out an Encroachment Application at the DOMI Permit Counter, located at 611 Second Avenue.
- The review process takes place. The entire review time takes an average of three (3) months.
- When the legislation is passed, the applicant will be notified to come to the DOMI Office to sign the Certificate of Acceptance as well as the Encroachment Permit.
Additional Information Required
An Insurance Certificate naming the City of Pittsburgh as an additional insured party to be in effect for the duration of the encroachment is required.
The insurance amounts are to be as follows:
- Public Liability: $100,000 - $300,000
- Property Damage: $50,000
- Upon receipt of the letter of request, check and petition, as well as any plans or drawings that may be helpful, the review process will begin.
- The application is reviewed by the Department of Mobility & Infrastructure and the Department of City Planning.
- A field inspection by the DOMI administrator and inspector is completed.
- When the review and verification process is complete, legislation is drawn up and sent to City Council for approval.
- Final approval is obtained from the Mayor’s Office.
- If the encroachment extends less than eighteen (18) inches into the City sidewalk, the permit can be issued over the counter.
For Bicycle Rack Encroachment Permits
Applicant must contact:
200 Ross St, 4th Floor
Pittsburgh, PA 15219