Safe Routes to School
2023 Fall SRTS Walk & Roll to School Day
Welcome to the City of Pittsburgh Safe Routes to School (SRTS) page.
The mission of Safe Routes to School is to increase the number of students biking and walking to school through education, encouragement, and safety improvements. Creating healthy communities by providing safer walking, bicycling and riding routes while educating and encouraging students. The goal of the Safe Routes to School program is to:
- Engage with community members and working with existing community organizations how Safe Routes to School initiatives should begin
- Educate school aged children in safe walking and biking practices
- Encourage children to use an active mode of transportation
- Provide engineering improvements around the schools such as crosswalks, signage and sidewalks
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the program activities and engineering improvements
Avoid walking in the streets. Use sidewalks or walking paths wherever possible.
The safest place to cross streets is at cross-walks and corners.
Look both ways and stay alert. Check for moving cars at driveways and intersections.
Wear a properly fitted helmet for safety. For children under 18, it’s the law.
Be visible when you ride. Wear bright clothing, use a white front light and red rear light.
Follow the rules of the road and use marked bike lanes when possible. Ride with an adult until you are ready to ride on your own.
New contest coming soon!
Could Your School Use A "FREE" Bike Rack?
City of Pittsburgh Complete Street Bike Rack
How to request a bike rack:
- Request can be put through SRTS Website/email address: SRTSpgh@pittsburghpa.gov
- The request should include: 1. Written approval from the School administrator (Principal or facility administrator) 2. Identified location of rack placement (the surface needs to be concrete)
- Each school can request up to 2 sidewalk U racks.
- If school has installation capacity, city will just provide them the rack (Preferred). If not, city will assist in the installation but that will be evaluated case by case.
- Based on inventory & funding availability, City can accept or reject the request.
- City of Pittsburgh, DOMI contact person: Panini Chowdhury Panini.email@example.com
Contact Us Via the Online Form or by Email