Street Opening Permits
How to Obtain a Street Opening Permit:
- Applicant obtains a Street Opening Permit at the Department of Mobility & Infrastructure (DOMI) Permit Counter, located at 611 Second Avenue.
- Right of Way Procedures Manual
- Permit requirements include:
- Company name
- Company address
- Company phone number
- Worksite address
- Brief description of work to be performed along with construction plans or drawings.
- A Traffic obstruction permit is required for a street opening permit.
- Contractor or utility company presents a street opening bond and a check for the permit fee at the time of application submittal. Bond must remain in effect for two years.
- Street opening permits, issued for digging in city streets, require an insurance bond of $10,000 per street opening in asphalt streets, or $20,000 per street opening in concrete streets.
- A blanket bond of $75,000, good for multiple openings in a given year, may be submitted as well. This bond must remain in effect for two years.
- A street opening bond must be presented when applying for a permit.
3. DOMI reviews the application and, if approved, issues a street opening permit.
In the Know:
- Permits cover a fourteen (14) day working period and a thirty (30) day restoration period.
- Separate permit fees are based upon the size of the excavation and any barricades or scaffolding proposed.
DOMI Permits Office
611 Second Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Phone: (412) 255-2370
Fax: (412) 255-2728