A pothole occurs when there is a small failure in the road surface, and if left unattended, it will start to degrade the road surface.
Pothole patching is a year-round activity which is performed by the Maintenance Divisions. Each of the Area Divisions is responsible for handling all the pothole patching complaints and requests that are received in their respective areas. Each has one or two asphalt crews that perform the work.
Some examples of the work crews perform include:
- Pothole patching.
- Roadway gutter installation and/or repair.
- Windrow installation or repair.
- A "Windrow" is an asphalt curb placed along the side of the street to aid in drainage.
- Small intersection installation.
- Small alley paving
- Paving of an alleyway or area too narrow for paving equipment.