Waste Regulations and Ordinances
Waste and Recycling Regulations
Complete list of Frequently Asked Questions.
- Makes the mandate to recycle explicit.
- Waste to be placed in a substantial watertight container not exceeding 35 gallons with a close-fitting lid or leak-proof bag.
- To prevent contamination, waste is no longer allowed to be set out for collection in blue containers or blue recycling bags. Blue is reserved for recycling only.
- Recycling can be placed in a blue translucent recycling bag, City issued container or substantial watertight blue container clearly marked for recycling not exceeding 35 gallons. If a blue recycling container is used, place all material in loosely.
- Codifies set out times: no sooner than 6 p.m. the day prior to collection, no later than 6 a.m. day of collection.
- Containers must be removed from collection site by 10 p.m. the day of collection. No removal time was previously specified.
- Anyone not serviced by the City must now label their dumpster or storage container with the name and address of establishment to distinguish ownership.
- Sets tenants up for success in waste and recycling compliance:
- Requires landlords to provide both waste and recycling storage containers for their tenants.
- Better communicates the existing requirement to provide a Pittsburgh-specific Waste and Recycling Fact Sheet to tenants as part of leases.
- If not in compliance with Chapter 619, violation notice will be sent to both tenants and landlords.
Environmental Services Waste Regulations
(Authorized by City Code § 619.02)
Obstructions (Including Dumpsters)
§ 416.02 - Permit Fee for Minor Street Obstructions
§ 601.11 - Littering and Dumping
Commercial Hauling of Municipal Waste
§ 765.05 - Collection Practices