The Finance Department is responsible for the collection, deposit, and investment of all funds received by the City from any source. The Department bills and collects tax and fee revenue, intergovernmental payments, certain grant payments, lease payments, and other payments due to the City to be used for budgeted expenditures. The Department also manages tax abatements (including homestead and senior citizen exemptions), tracks tax increment financing, and performs audits designed to help business taxpayers to submit returns correctly. The Department is also the designated tax collector for the Pittsburgh School District as well as the Carnegie Library.
In addition to collections of revenue, the Finance Department performs a number of other functions. This includes the sale of tax delinquent property through Treasurer’s Sales, sale of City-owned property, tax assessment appeals, and city-wide cash management. The Department performs tax audits and ensures that money owed to the City is collected fairly. The Department also manages City debt through bonds and borrowing as well as manages the City’s Comprehensive Municipal Pension Trust Fund, with liabilities exceeding $1.2 billion dollars. Lastly, the Department also facilitates city-wide annual single and pension audits.
Administrative Division: 412-255-2582
- Includes the General Office Staff which supports the overall operation of the department, as well as other City government functions.
Collections & Compliance: 412-255-2525
- Responsible for all self-assessed taxes including:
- Earned Income Tax
- Payroll Expense Tax
- Local Services Tax
- Amusement Tax
- Parking Tax
- Institution and Service Privilege Tax
- Facility Usage Fees
- This division consists of current billing and processing, delinquent billing and compliance through auditing and investigations.
Financial Control: 412-255-8654
- Manages the City's financial portfolio to bring the greatest rate of return on investment of available funds.
- Additionally, Financial Control provides debt service administration, account balancing, and daily funds investment.
- The Financial Control is comprised of Revenue Investments, Cashier Processing, and Control.
Real Estate Division: 412-255-2525
- This division is responsible for all Real Estate Tax billing and collections, including Treasurer's Sales.
- The City Real Estate Tax, applies to all individuals or businesses owning real estate located within the City and Pittsburgh School District.
- The millage rate is applied to the assessed value, which is 100 percent of the market value as determined by the Allegheny County Board of Assessors.
Properties for Sale: 412-255-2525
- * This unit manages, maintains, and markets properties acquired by the City due to delinquency. Please visit the Properties for Sale page!