The City of Pittsburgh is now accepting applications for the Police Officer position on a continuous basis. The position is currently posted on
the employment website www.pghjobs.net.
Step By Step
Application | Examination | Eligibility:
- Submit your transcripts, DD-214 Member 4 Forms and Act 120 grade sheet/certificate (if applicable).
- Attend the Written Exam Prep Session.
- Attend the Written Exam. **Applicants will be scheduled for a written examination in the month
following the submission of application.(e.g., application is submitted in December, exam will be scheduled for January).
- Depending on passing scores, receive a rank on the Eligibility List. **Candidates will be ranked on the
eligibility list by month tested in written examination score order.
Following the application process, those who are placed on the Eligibility List can expect the following step by step process when their rank is
reached on the eligibility list to be considered for a police academy class:
Class Processing from the Eligibility List:
- Background processing packets are mailed to appropriate ranks. Candidates submit packets by deadline.
- Candidates attend and pass the MPOETC Reading and Fitness
Exam. Event Description | Test Standards
- Candidate background investigations are conducted. View Here
- The Chief's Selection process is held. View Here
- Public Hearings are scheduled and held for those decertified. View Here
- Conditional Offers of Employment are extended for those selected. View Here
- Candidates undergo a Written Psychological. View Here
- Candidates undergo a Psychological Interview. View Here
- Candidates undergo a pre-employment Medical. View Here
- Final Offers of Employment are extended to those who successfully complete all required processing steps. View Here
You must submit or show proof of all of the following at the time of filing your application (unless otherwise indicated below) or your
application may be disqualified.
- Completed online City of Pittsburgh Application Form and Supplemental questions for this position.
- At least 18 years of age at the time of filing application.
- A United States citizen.
- Applicants must be or become residents of an area within a 25-mile air radius of the downtown City-County Building prior to employment and remain
a resident within the 25-mile air radius throughout employment.
- A current, valid Class C Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Operator's License or a current valid driver's
license from another state or the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Licenses must be presented at the time of filing application or prior to certification. PA driver's
license must be obtained prior to appointment and maintained throughout employment.
- The City of Pittsburgh, as a matter of policy, conducts a pre-employment and promotional background
investigation on all applicants being considered for positions. Applicants may be disqualified from consideration based on the results of
their background investigation (as it relates to the job for which the applicant is being considered).
- Thirty (30) semester credits (or forty-five (45) quarter credits) of completed coursework at an
accredited college, university, technical or trade school are required at the time of application or by the date of the written
examination. NOTE: Sixty (60) semester credits (or ninety (90) quarter credits) of completed coursework at an accredited college,
university, technical or trade school must be completed by the time your rank on the eligibility list is reached for processing for an
academy class. If you do not meet the requirement at that time, you will be able to request a one year civil service education
Decertification Criteria for Police Officer Recruit:
All police officer applicants with the City of Pittsburgh, Bureau of Police are subject to a thorough background investigation to verify the
accuracy of statements provided within the applicant materials and to confirm qualification for employment. The background information is
reviewed by the Chief and his/her command staff for selection purposes.
The following are some, but not all, of the background issues that may result in you not being selected/“decertified”:
- Criminal felony convictions
- Any federal, state, or local circumstance that would prohibit you from legally possessing a firearm
- Pending traffic or criminal charges
- Domestic violence
- Restraining orders
- Use of verbal, physical or mental abuse
- Driving while under the influence
- Any illegal activity
- Moving violations (i.e., multiple speeding tickets, recent tickets)
- Drug use
- Other than honorable discharge from the military
- Harassment, hazing incidents, derogatory stereotypes in jokes or daily language
- Poor employment history
- Deliberate omissions or falsehoods
- Failure to pass all medical, physical, psychological examinations
- Altercations with police or other individuals