What do we do?
Members will act as a conduit for the LGBTQIA+ community to meet the needs of the constituents. Throughout their time on the commission, members will also serve on at least one sub-committee. Members will report to the Mayor and City Council and will provide annual progress reports as well as give recommendations for internal and legislative policy.
- The LGBTQIA+ Commission shall conduct studies and analyses, seek out best practices, and develop action plans to address challenges facing LGBTQIA+ residents and visitors of Pittsburgh.
- The LGBTQIA+ Commission shall serve as a conduit between members of the LGBTIQA+ community and the City of Pittsburgh and connect residents with services.
- The Commission shall engage with members of the LGBTQIA+ community regularly.
- The LGBTQIA+ Commission shall work with City departments, bureaus, agencies, and authorities to assist in the creation of cultural competency training opportunities.
- The LGBTQIA+ Commission shall conduct outreach to City departments, bureaus, agencies, and authorities and external organizations and provide information and resources pertaining to the needs of members of the LGBTQIA+ community.
- The LGBTQIA+ Commission shall develop outreach and advocacy programming in an effort to create a more inclusive and equitable city for LGBTIQA+ residents and visitors, especially people of color and transgender individuals.
- The LGBTQIA+ Commission shall produce annual reports to Pittsburgh City Council.