Love Your Block Guidelines
- Please keep these basic requirements in mind before applying:
- Love Your Block is a mini-grant program with a maximum award of $5,000.
- Funding is provided through reimbursement after project implementation.
- Funding must be awarded through a non-profit. If your organization is not a non-profit, you can use one as a sponsor. Non-profits are welcome to sponsor multiple projects.
- Projects must benefit the public.
- Projects on private property must have the written permission of the owner.
- All projects are subject to City of Pittsburgh Zoning and Permit guidelines.
- Project-related events must follow COVID-19 guidelines that are in place at the time of the events.
In planning for strong and successful projects, consider the following:
- Build strong partnerships
- Consider having local businesses come out and lend a hand or donate food or materials.
- Recruit volunteers from a local VFW post or have a service-learning component for youth.
- Leverage donations
- Consider having residents donate plants, compost material, or food for your volunteer event day.
- Make sure it’s feasible
- We love creative ideas- but don’t bite off more than you can chew! If you have a huge idea, make Love Your Block a first step in the right direction and secure some other partners that can assist with your plans.
- Engage neighbors
- While your volunteers can come from anywhere, we’ve found that the most impactful projects utilize volunteers within proximity to the project. People like to be a part of what’s happening next door and are more likely to maintain and sustain the project afterward if they helped plan and implement it.