Marshall Plan for Middle America
The Marshall Plan for Middle America Roadmap aims to build a regional, multi-sectoral coalition of stakeholders to drive investment in infrastructure and energy diversification that will catalyze more equitable economic recovery while laying a foundation for the Ohio Valley (including Upper Appalachia) to be a global leader in cleaner energy resources and circular economy practices. The MP4MA Roadmap was crafted by the University of Pittsburgh's Center for Sustainable Business with inputs from academic researchers, Mayor William Peduto and the City of Pittsburgh, the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network USA, Steel Valley Authority, and Heartland Capital Strategies Network with funding and scientific expertise from the Enel Foundation.
The MP4MA Roadmap lays out a strategy for regional cooperation that brings together five essential components:
- reliable research and evidence to help chart the path forward;
- governing institutions with identifiable infrastructure needs and community ties;
- companies to invest in long-term market development and support the transition to more sustainable business practices;
- capital to finance development; and,
- community oversight, transparency, and accountability.