Term: 1887 – 1890
Another product of the Magee-Flinn ring, McCallin was elected Allegheny County Sheriff in 1881. In his first year as Mayor, the first electric street car was put in service, and in 1869 Mary Schenley donated the land that would become Schenley Park, Schenley Farms, and Schenley High School. The power of a Mayor increased in the Act of 1887. Contracts were controlled by a Board made up of the Mayor and three department heads. Control over the police through the Mayor’s new power to appoint police was solidified.