Operating Budget Engagement
How to Engage with the Operating Budget
All surveys, meeting registration links, recordings of meeting videos, helpful links, and other tools related to the 2022 Capital and Operating Budget engagement process will be hosted on a centralized page within the City’s EngagePGH platform here.
Understand the document:
- The current and historical City of Pittsburgh Operating Budgets are available here.
- The Budget Guide is the very first section of the full operating document and offers insight into how the City of Pittsburgh operates. It explains how money moves through the City in a general sense. This section leads constituents through the City’s accounting structure, major revenue and expenditure categories, the budget creation process, and describes how to interpret other sections of the document.
- The Budget Calendar is also available in the document and online
- Published Quarterly Financial Reports allow residents to compare actual expenditures to the final budget
Watch the Budget Engagement Kick-Off video:
- The video, available here, provides an overview of the entire budget process
- The slides are available on the Engage website
Attend an educational forum:
- The 2022 Operating Budget Public Forum will take place virtually on Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 6pm
- Residents who wish to attend and participate in the Capital and Operating Budget Forums via Zoom must register in advance on the EngagePGH platform.
- Individuals who do not wish to participate in the meetings can watch the Forums live or after the fact on City Channel Pittsburgh’s YouTube channel.
- Last year’s recorded forum is available to watch on the City Channel Pittsburgh’s YouTube page here
Complete the annual Operating Budget survey:
- The 2022 Operating Budget survey is available here until Sunday, July 11, 2021
- Results will be analyzed by OMB staff and will be shared with Department Directors and the Mayor’s Office before the preliminary budget is finalized
- A summary will also be shared with City Council once they take ownership of the document
Interface with Balancing Act:
- The Tax Receipt tool allows residents to see an unofficial breakdown of how their taxes are spent each year
- The Operating Simulation will go live once American Rescue Plan guidance has been fully reviewed and implemented
Attend Council budget hearings:
- Each November, the Mayor delivers the State of the City address and presents the budget to City Council
- After this, the legislating body takes ownership of the pending document
- The City Clerk schedules meetings with each department, office, and bureau to discuss preliminary plans for the next fiscal year
- The Clerk posts the hearing schedule on the Meeting Schedule page
- Constituents have the opportunity to offer public comment during the Citizen Participation hearing; this is an appropriate time to share personal priorities with City officials
More information about the Capital Budget engagement process is available here.