Mechanical Amusement Device License
If the following criteria are met, the City of Pittsburgh requires a business establishment proprietor to obtain a mechanical amusement devise license from PLI, which includes a fee for each device:
The business establishment has at least one (1) mechanical or electronic amusement device, machine, or apparatus (including pool tables);
The purpose of the machine is to gain advantage or profit;
Some sort of fee or payment is required to play the device, machine, or apparatus; and
The cost to play one (1) game is five cents ($0.05) or more.
Inspections are completed to confirm the number and type of devices are accurately reflected in the license and the license is clearly posted where the machines are installed. This license does not allow the use of gambling devices, machines, or apparatuses.
1) PREPARE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
- See checklist below for quick list of requirements
- For more detailed info, Check out the Rules and Regulations
2) COMPLETE APPLICATION
3) SUBMIT DOCUMENTS AND PAYMENT
- Print out application and mail it along with required information, or bring it in person with all other required information, and Current Fee.
- Check the cost of your license application fee here: Current Fee Schedule
- Pay by credit card at the counter or online!
- Make all checks or money orders payable to TREASURER – CITY OF PITTSBURGH. Please see main License page for credit card and echeck fees
4) FOR NEW APPLICANTS: New licenses will require an inspection before license can be issued.
Wondering how much your license costs?
All Department of Permits, Licenses and Inspections fees change annually. Consult the Current Fee Schedule for new applications, renewals, and late fees.
A late fee will be charged the day after your license expires. If your license is not renewed within 30 days of expiration, it is considered lapsed and closed. All business licenses expire a year from the date of issuance.