There is a loose dog in my neighborhood, what do I do?

Dogs are not allowed to run loose in the City of Pittsburgh. We like to help ensure the safety of people in the community as well as trying to reunite the dog with its owner. To report the loose dog, please call the Animal Care and Control office at 412-255-2036 Monday through Friday between the hours of 7am and 3pm. Outside of these hours, please call 412-255-2935. If you feel you are in imminent danger from the dog, it is appropriate to call 911 at any time.

There is a loose cat in my neighborhood, what do I do?

There is no law against cats roaming free in the City of Pittsburgh, but they are required to have a collar with identification. If you have found a friendly cat without identification, animal control officers will pick it up if it is contained in some way (carrier, cage, humane trap). Animal Care and Control is not able to respond to calls regarding loose cats that are not contained. We are able to provide a humane trap for residents needing to capture a cat on their property. Please contact the office at 412-255-2036, Monday through Friday from 7am to 3pm to discuss trapping.

I lost my pet! What should I do?

Losing a pet can be a very stressful experience. Following these steps can help reunite you with your lost pet more quickly:

  • Be proactive! Nobody expects a pet to go missing, so your pet should always wear a collar with an ID tag that has your phone number on it. Check the tag regularly to ensure it is still readable.
  • Have your pet spayed or neutered. In addition to all the health benefits, it decreases an animal's desire to roam away from home. Pittsburgh residents are eligible for the City's free spay/neuter program for up to 5 pets! Check out the Spay/Neuter Program tab for an application and details.
  • Get your pet microchipped this permanent form of ID can't be detached or obscured. Local shelters offer microchips at reduced rates. Make sure to keep your information updated with the microchip company if you move or get a new phone number
  • Take photos of your pet (as if we had to ask you to do that!). Be sure to keep a few current ones on hand for emergency purposes
  • If your pet has gotten away from you, call the local shelters. The open door shelter in Pittsburgh is Humane Animal Rescue at 412-345-7300.  You need to file a lost report with them in case someone finds your pet. However, because descriptions may vary (you might call your dog tan while a shelter worker calls him yellow), it is best to visit the shelters in person. Making a flyer complete with color photos of your pet will help! You can bring a copy of the flyer to local shelters, post flyers around your neighborhood, and post the information to social media sites.
  • Any animal picked up by Pittsburgh Animal Care and Control is taken to the Animal Rescue League, so if you've filed your lost report with them, you are covered if your pet is picked up by our officers

The cats I see in my neighborhood have a funny looking ear, are they strays?

We're glad you asked! Cats with an ear that is "tipped" or notched (see photo) aren't really strays. They are feral cats. This means the cats are not tame, but they are cared for by someone in your neighborhood. A cat with a tipped ear has been spayed or neutered and vaccinated against rabies. These cats help to keep rodent populations in check. They are no danger to residents, but should not be approached, as they are essentially wild. For more information on feral cats, please check out or call the Animal Care and Control office at 412-255-2036 Monday through Friday, 7am to 3pm.

I don't like the way my neighbor cares for his/her pet. Can you help?

We're glad you're concerned about the anima's well-being, because we are too! You can call the Animal Care and Control office at 412-255-2036 to discuss your concerns. You may remain anonymous if you wish. Concerns about animal neglect or cruelty may also be reported to the Humane Officers at The Humane Animal Rescue at 412-345-7300 or Animal Friends at 412- 847-7000.

My neighbor's dog barks all the time. Can you help?

It's possible that your neighbor doesn't know his/her dog barks all the time. If you know your neighbor, you can try talking with him/her about the problem. If you aren't comfortable talking with your neighbor, feel free to call the office at 412-255-2036 Monday through Friday, 7am to 3pm, and we can help to resolve the problem. Please have the address of the property where the dog lives available when you call.

I still have more questions.

No problem, just give us a call at 412-255-2036, Monday through Friday from 7am to 3pm, for any other questions or concerns. Please note, this is for general questions or concerns only. Any requests for services or concerns about an animal's welfare should be submitted directly to the office via phone.