Frequently Asked Questions

How does a property get declared disruptive?

  • A property is declared disruptive after 3 violations of the above ordinances/statutes within a 1 year period. Upon being cited for any of these violations, the property owner can appeal the Notice of Disruptive Activity to the Disruptive Properties Appeal Board. If the Board overturns the Notice of Disruptive Activity, it does not count against the property as one of the requisite "three strikes" needed to declare the property disruptive.

What happens if my property is declared disruptive?

  • If a property accumulates 3 Notices of Disruptive Activity within 1 year, the property is declared Disruptive. A Disruptive Property notification means that the property owner will be charged for any and all future public safety service calls to the property. However, if law enforcement authorities are not called to the property for 12 consecutive months, then the property will no longer be classified as Disruptive.

I got a Notice of Disruptive Activity in the mail. What do I do?

  • Upon receiving a Notice of Disruptive Activity, a property owner is permitted to appeal the Notice to the Disruptive Property Appeals Board. The Board will then decide to uphold the Notice or overturn it. Overturned notices are removed from the system and do not count as part of the 3-notice total required to declare a property disruptive.

For any other questions contact the Department of Public Safety at 412-255-4789