Historically the applicable Uniform Construction Codes (UCC) for construction permits were determined based on the date of the design contract. PA Act 2017-36 established a deadline to use previously adopted UCC codes.
All application submissions made on or after April 1, 2019 shall comply with the 2015 UCC codes. All application submissions made on or after June 30, 2019 shall comply with the 2018 UCC accessibility codes.
Please note that the 2018 IBC references the 2009 ICC A117.1.
PLI will regulate this deadline:
- Based on the date a construction permit is submitted to the City of Pittsburgh. This would exclude other application types, e.g., appeals, variances and planning reviews.
- Independently for each permit and permit type, e.g. building, mechanical and electrical.
For example, under the same project and/or development:
- A building permit is submitted on March 29, 2019 and the design contract date is September 30, 2018.
- A mechanical permit is submitted on April 1, 2019 and the design contract date is September 30, 2018.
- The applicable codes for the building permit would be the 2009 IBC and the accessibility provisions of the 2015 IBC and IEBC.
- The applicable codes for the mechanical permit would be the 2015 IMC.
For additional information regarding the UCC enforcement in Pittsburgh please see this webpage.
Effective December 31, 2018
- 2018 IBC and IEBC – accessibility provisions only.
Effective October 1, 2018
- 2015 I-Codes, please refer to PA Department of Labor and Industry’s Bulletin documenting exclusions and exemptions.
Effective April 16, 2016
- 2015 IBC and IEBC – accessibility provisions only.
Effective January 1, 2016
- 2015 I-codes – limited provisions
Effective December 31, 2012
- 2012 I-codes – accessibility provisions only.
- 2009 Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities – ICC-A117.1
Effective December 31, 2009
- 2009 I-codes
Effective June 8, 2004
- 2003 International Fire Code – locally adopted by ordinance.
- 2003 International Property Maintenance Code – locally adopted by ordinance.