Commercial Fire Alarm
A commercial fire alarm permit is required for the following work on a commercial building or structure.
- Renovate and repair existing fire alarm systems.
- Extend or modify an existing fire alarm system.
- Installation of a new fire alarm system.
Please see Permit Home for definition of commercial structures and work types.
New Construction & Addition / Alteration Work Types:
- Circuit Wiring: applies to circuit wiring associated with the fire alarm system.
- Fire Alarm Control and/or Annunciator Panel: applies to the installation of new or replacement of existing fire alarm control and/or annunciator panels.
- New Devices: applies to installation of new devices such as notification (horns, strobes, combo a/v) and initiating (pull stations, smoke detectors) devices.
- Relocation / Replacement of Devices: applies to the relocation/replacement of existing fire alarm devices such as notification (horns, strobes, combo a/v) and initiating (pull stations, smoke detectors) devices when not in kind or when associated with installation of new devices and/or fire alarm control panels and/or annunciator panels.
Minor Alteration Work Types:
- Relay for Hood Suppression System: applies to wiring and equipment that operates at 50V or less.
- Relocation / Replacement of Devices In Kind only: applies to the relocation or replacement in kind of devices such as notification (horns, strobes, combo a/v) and initiating (pull stations, smoke detectors) devices.
- This excludes replacement and/or relocation of fire alarm control panels and/or annunciator panels.
See these webpages for additional information regarding the permitting process:
- Permit Process
- Application Submission
- All other work type other than Minor Alteration requires submission of construction drawings to OneStopPGH.
- Drawings shall be one of the following:
- Prepared and sealed by a PA licensed architect or engineer.
- Prepared and sealed by a PA licensed architect or engineer supplemented by shop drawings if accompanied with a statement from the architect or engineer that they have accepted the shop drawings as part of the construction drawings.
- Prepared and signed by an individual with a Level III Nicet certification for fire alarm systems.
- Application Review
- Permit Issuance
- Permit Inspections
- Permit Completion
Please see Other Agency Coordination for processes related to other agencies that may relate to your permit scope. For commercial fire alarm permits:
- Zoning Development Review application (ZDR) submission is required for the following:
- Any work scope if the property is located in a regulated floodplain.
- PA Department of Health (DOH)
- Required for a structure regulated by the PA Health Care Facilities Act.