Commercial Mechanical Permit
A commercial mechanical permit is required for the following work on a commercial building or structure:
- Renovate and repair mechanical or fuel gas systems.
- Extend or modify an existing mechanical or fuel gas system.
- Installation of new mechanical or fuel gas systems.
Please see Permit Home for the definition of commercial structures and work types. Please see work not requiring a permit for work that can be performed without a PLI permit.
Over the counter applications will require a Commercial Mechanical Permit Application.
New Construction and Addition / Alteration Work Type:
- Ductwork: applies to ductwork modifications.
- Exhaust Systems: applies to the installation of new exhaust systems or replacement of primary exhaust equipment.
- Fuel Gas Piping: applies to new installation and modifications of existing fuel gas piping.
- Hydronic Systems: applies to new installation and modifications of existing hydronic systems that include replacement of primary equipment.
- Mechanical Equipment – Exterior: applies to the installation of new or replacement equipment that is located exterior to the building or structure.
- Mechanical Equipment – Interior: applies to new or replacement equipment that is located inside the building or structure.
- Refrigeration System: applies to the installation of new or modifications of the existing refrigeration system.
- Smoke Control System: applies to the installation of new and modification of existing mechanical systems used for the purposes of smoke control.
- Type I Commercial Cooking Hood Exhaust System: applies to the installation of new and modifications of existing Type I commercial cooking hood exhaust systems.
- Type II Commercial Cooking Hood Exhaust System: applies to the installation of new and modifications of existing Type II commercial cooking hood exhaust systems.
Minor Work Type:
Interior minor alterations, items 4-6 below, are only applicable to structures with a valid Certificate of Occupancy. Any applications that are not limited to the items listed below shall require an addition/alteration work type permit.
- Alteration to Existing Mechanical System with Primary Equipment to Remain: applies to existing systems only when the primary equipment is not being replaced and has sufficient capacity per current mechanical code requirements.
- Meters, valves, and meter equipment: applies to utility metering equipment related to mechanical systems.
- Replacement / Relocation of Grills, Registers, Diffusers: applies to modification of existing system with work limited to modification of these elements and other equipment to remain.
See these webpages for additional information regarding the permitting process:
- Permit Process
- Application Submission
- All Work Types other than Minor Alterations require submission of drawings to OneStopPGH.
- Application Review
- Permit Issuance
- Permit Inspections
- Permit Completion
Please see Other Agency Coordination for processes related to other agencies that may relate to your permit scope. For commercial mechanical permits:
- Zoning Development Review application (ZDR) submission is required for the following:
- Mechanical Equipment – Exterior work scope.
- Any work scope if the property is located in a regulated floodplain.
- PA Department of Health (DOH)
- Required for a structure regulated by the PA Health Care Facilities Act.