Electrical Trade License
The City of Pitsburgh requires that a Electrical Trade License is required to perform electrical work within the City of Pittsburgh.
1) PREPARE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
- See checklist below for quick list of requirements.
WONDERING HOW MUCH YOUR LICENSE COSTS?
All Department of Permits, Licenses and Inspections fees change annually. Consult the Current Fee Schedule for new applications, renewals, and late fees.
A 60 day grace period begins when your license expires. A late fee will be charged the day after your license expires. If your license is not renewed within 60 days of expiration, it is considered lapsed and closed. All contractor and trade licenses expire a year from the date of issuance.
- LOOKING FOR ADDITIONAL INFO OR CLARIFICATION ON YOUR LICENSE REQUIREMENTS? Check out the Rules and Regulations
How to Schedule Your Exam
- Click the link here, select "Non-authorized Candidates" and follow these instructions to schedule your exam
- Type or paste one of the following codes in the form entry box beneath the "Available Exams" heading: F16 or W16 and hit Enter/Return. This will bring up a link for your chosen version of the National Standard Master Electrician Exam.
- Clicking this link will bring up the test details. View the testing policies for this exam and click "Schedule this Exam".
- You will have to create an account with Pearson Vue prior to scheduling and paying for your exam. Once you create your non-authorized contractors account, return to the exam page.
- Schedule your exam at one of the two testing centers in the Pittsburgh region, and pay for your exam. Print out confirmations of your scheduled exam and payment. Make sure to arrive early for your exam on your test date.
- All ICC exams are proctored by Pearson Vue, and can be scheduled through their website. The approved reference materials for the National Standard Master Electrical - F16 exam are the NFPA 70®: National Electrical Code® (NEC®) Handbook, 2014 Edition; and Ugly Electrical References (any edition).
- The National Standard Master Electrical - W16 exam references the NFPA 70®: National Electrical Code® (NEC®), 2011 Edition; and Ugly Electrical References (any edition). View the exam bulletin for a detailed breakdown of test content.
- PLI will accept older versions of this exam, or a passing score letter from the Pittsburgh-proctored exam, to be evaluated by the License Officer.
Continuing Education Credits
- PLI will accept relevant continuing education credits from accreddited institutions as listed by:
- The ICC Preferred Provider’s Directory. For a full list of current providers, visit https://ppp.iccsafe.org, and click on “Providers Directory.”
- The Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry’s (PA - DLI) UCC continuing education providers. For a list of current providers, visit www.dli.pa.gov/ucc, and click on the “Continuing Education Providers” link.
- For Stationary Power Engineers, relevant trainings provided by the International Union of Operating Engineers (“IUOE”) and relevant Occupational Safety and Health Administration (“OSHA”) courses.
- Relevant trainings provided by trade-specific union and apprenticeship programs are accepted.
- PLI will review requests outside the above categories on a case by case basis