Mechanical/HVAC Trade License
The City of Pittsburgh requires a HVAC Contractor License to the install, erect, enlarge, repair, alter, remove, convert or replace of any mechanical system within the City of Pittsburgh.
In Person or Mailing Application Process
1) PREPARE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
- See checklist below for quick list of requirements.
2) COMPLETE APPLICATION
3) SUBMIT DOCUMENTS AND PAYMENT
- Check the cost of your license application fee here: Current Fee Schedule
WONDERING HOW MUCH YOUR LICENSE COSTS?
All Department of Permits, Licenses and Inspections fees change annually. Consult the Current Fee Schedule for new applications, renewals, and late fees.
A 60 day grace period begins when your license expires. A late fee will be charged the day after your license expires. If your license is not renewed within 60 days of expiration, it is considered lapsed and closed. All contractor and trade licenses expire a year from the date of issuance.
LOOKING FOR ADDITIONAL INFO OR CLARIFICATION ON YOUR LICENSE REQUIREMENTS?
How to Schedule Your Exam
- All ICC exams are proctored by Pearson Vue, and can be scheduled through their website. The approved reference materials for the National Standard Master Mechanical - F29 exam are the 2015 International Mechanical Code®, the 2015 International Fuel Gas Code®, and the 2014 National Electrical Code®.
- The National Standard Master Mechanical - W29 exam references the 2012 International Mechanical Code®, the 2012 International Fuel Gas Code®, and the 2011 National Electrical Code®. View the exam bulletin for a detailed breakdown of test content.
- Click the link here, select "Non-authorized Candidates" and follow these instructions to schedule your exam.
- Type or paste one of the following codes in the form entry box beneath the "Available Exams" heading: F29 or W29 and hit Enter/Return. This will bring up a link for the National Standard Master Mechanical Exam.
- Clicking this link will bring up the test details. View the testing policies for this exam and click "Schedule this Exam".
- You will have to create an account with Pearson Vue prior to scheduling and paying for your exam. Once you create your non-authorized contractors account, return to the exam page.
- Schedule your exam at one of the two testing centers in the Pittsburgh region, and pay for your exam. Print out confirmations of your scheduled exam and payment. Make sure to arrive early for your exam on your test date
Continuing Education Credits
- PLI will accept relevant continuing education credits from accreddited institutions as listed by:
- The ICC Preferred Provider’s Directory. For a full list of current providers, visit https://ppp.iccsafe.org, and click on “Providers Directory.”
- The Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry’s (PA - DLI) UCC continuing education providers. For a list of current providers, visit www.dli.pa.gov/ucc, and click on the “Continuing Education Providers” link.
- For Stationary Power Engineers, relevant trainings provided by the International Union of Operating Engineers (“IUOE”) and relevant Occupational Safety and Health Administration (“OSHA”) courses.
- Relevant trainings provided by trade-specific union and apprenticeship programs are accepted.
- PLI will review requests outside the above categories on a case by case basis