The Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections issues licenses for the following activities:
- Contractor Licenses
- General Contractors & Sign Contractors
- Customers applying for a new or renewal General Contractor license must provide their firm's EPA Lead, Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) certification. The RRP certification is valid for 5 years. For more information about the RRP certification and how to obtain one, please visit the EPA's website.
- Trade Licenses
- Electrical Trade, HVAC Trade, Stationary Power Engineer, & Fire Suppression Trade
- Trade License holders are required to obtain eight (8) continuing education units (CEUs) annually to be eligible for renewal. A list of accepted Continuing Education Units for Trade License Holders and when they must be completed can be found here: Continuing Education Units for Trade License Holders
- Business Licenses
- Bed & Breakfast, Antique or Secondhand Dealers (includes Junk Dealer & Pawnbroker licenses), Parking Lot, Towing, Mobile Vehicle Vendors, Mobile Peddler, Stationary Vendors, One-Day Solicitation (Tag Day), & Ticket Reselling
Wondering how much your License will cost? All Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections fees change annually. Please consult the Current Fee Schedule below.
- Effective November 15th, 2018, PLI adopted the Licensing Rules & Regulations. (Updated May 29th, 2022)
- Thank you all who provided comments to the draft Licensing Rules & Regulations. Click here to view our responses to the comments provided.
- All licenses expire 365 days from the date of issuance. License holders who allow their license to expire will be charged a late fee after the date of expiration. Late fee grace periods are provided for all trade and contractor licenses. Please see the links above for more information on your license type and late fees.
HAVE A QUESTION FOR US? You can reach the Department of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections at email@example.com or 412-255-2175. PLI staff are also available via live chat on the OneStopPGH website from 8:00AM-3:00PM, Monday through Friday.