Code Enforcement

I believe my neighbor has code violations on their property. What should I do?

Please contact 311 on their website by phone, or via twitter. An inspector will be assigned to do an inspection and determine if there are any violations.

I submitted a 311 complaint and nothing has been done.

Although it may not seem like any progress has been made on a particular property, there may have been many steps taken in order to get the violations corrected. When you sbmit a 311 complaint, you can request updates from 311. You can also check Building Eye online for code enforcement at specific properties. Finally, not all complaints result in violations, which can happen for any number of reasons, such as the inspector could not see the issue from a public place or the issue was not actually a code violation. 

I submitted a 311 complaint and it is not on the violation search.

The search only contains notices sent after October 15, 2015. If you do not see an address that has remaining violations, please resubmit to 311. Also, not all complaints result in violations, which can happen for any number of reasons, the issue was fixed before an inspector got there. 

Can I testify in court against my neighbor?

Yes. Please call the government and community affairs liaison to coordinate at 412-255-2811. To view court dates, please visit the magisterial judicial website. Court dates will appear once the hearing has been scheduled. If you do not see a date, the hearing has not yet been scheduled.

How do I get the City to condemn a house?

Please contact 311 and request an inspection of the property. Please keep in mind that the CIty can only condemn a house if it meets certain conditions. 

How do I find out if a building is condemned?

Please visit our Condemned, Under Contract and Razed properties web page to view a list of condemned structures.

Can I request to have the City demolish my building?

No. Property owners are responsible for their own property. You must obtain a private demolition permit from PLI before demolishing any structures, including garages.

Can I go onto my neighbor’s property or a vacant lot and clean it up?

PLI cannot authorize anyone to enter property without the owner’s permission. If you have questions about your legal rights, it is up to you contact an attorny. If you are interested in reclaiming a City owned vacant lot, please visit City Planning’s Adopt-a-Lot website.

What can be done about junk vehicles?

If someone is storing a vehicle that is not inspected or registered on their property, this is likely a code violation. Please submit a 311 request for PLI to investigate the matter.

If the vehicle is located on a public street, this is a Police issue. Please contact 311 to alert the Police.

My neighbor constructed a fence on my property. What do I do?

Typically, this sounds like a private property dispute between the property owners/residents. PLI does not resolve private property disputes between owners/residents and cannot give legal advice. If you think that your neighbor is violating your property rights, it is up to you to contact on attorney for advice.

You may submit a 311 request for PLI to investigate whether any City review, permit, and/or certificate of occupancy was required for the construction of the fence, and, if so, whether your neighbor obtained them and whether they did so lawfully.

Please note that PLI does not conduct property surveys.

Am I allowed to park in my front yard?

No. Parking requires specific zoning permission, and most City neighborhoods do not allow front yard parking. It is possible that City Planning has allowed a variance for a parking pad in neighborhoods where parking is an issue. It is best to contact City Planning to determine if a front yard parking pad would be allowed.

If your neighbor is parking in their front yard, please call 311 to request an inspection.

What is the proper procedure to fix my sidewalk?

Property owners are responsible for maintaining sidewalks along their property. For working on or repairing a sidewalk, the Department of Mobility and Infrastructure ("DOMI") requires a permit. If we sent you a notice to fix your sidewalk, please contact DOMI as soon as possible at 412-255-8850 and keep us updated on what you are doing to fix your sidewalk.  For more information on permits for working on sidewalks and in the right-of-way, please visit DOMI's Right-of-Way Permits web page

If your sidewalk is being affected by a tree, before doing any work on the sidewalk itself or doing anything to the tree, please contact the Department of Public Works' Forestry Division at 412-665-3625. If it is a City tree, the Forestry Division may prune or remove the tree prior to you replacing/repairing the sidewalk. Please note that certain trees can only be pruned at certain times of the year, and that you must have a permit to plant, prune, or remove a City tree. For more information about City trees, City tree permits, and the Forestry Division, please visit Forestry's web page.

Can I dump my yard debris, such as grass and leaves, over my hillside?

No. Dumping of any kind is illegal within the City limits.

Someone dumped on my property. What do I do?

Without any evidence of who did the dumping, such as photos or videos that can lead to a specific person or company, the property owner is responsible to clear the property of debris.



Please check here for the latest alerts on the COVID-19 virus.