Limited Towing License
In order for the owner or operator of a non-residential parking place/lot to remove or have a vehicle removed from the parking place lot, the City of Pittsburgh requires the person to obtain an annual limited towing license. The requirement does not apply to abandoned vehicles. Inspections are completed to insure that the parking place/lot meet applicable PennDOT Signage Regulations, and that the name and contact info of the towing company are prominently displayed.
1) Prepare Required Documents
- Check below for a list of license requirements.
- For more detailed info, Check out the Rules and Regulations
2) Complete Application
- Fill out an application online!
3) Submit Documents and Payment
- Check the cost of your license application fee here: Current Fee Schedule
- New licenses are subject to inspection by PLI prior to issuance.
- Renewed licenses are subject to periodic maintenance inspections.
- Certificate of occupancy for parking lot or spaces. Click here to search for existing certificates of occupancy.
- General Liability insurance certificate with the City of Pittsburgh listed as certificate holder.
- Valid government-issued photo ID of the applicant.
- Sketch or plot drawing of details of the lot. For parking garages, a description of the number of uniformed security and floor plans should be included.
A late fee will be charged the day after your license expires. If your license is not renewed within 30 days of expiration, it is considered lapsed and closed. All business licenses expire a year from the date of issuance.
- Looking for additional info or clarification on your license requirements?
- Where can I find my certificate of occupancy?
- Insurance info
- A non-expired Certificate of Insurance showing general liability coverage for the applicant at the location where licensed activity will take place, and listing the City of Pittsburgh as the certificate holder and additionally insured. General liability insurance minimums as follows: $1,000,000 each occurrence, $2,000,000 general aggregate.