Pittsburgh Park Rangers
Pittsburgh Park Rangers work year around as liaisons between the public and the City of Pittsburgh to advocate and promote City Parks. Park Rangers are responsible for park related ordinance enforcement, educational programming and oversight of all Pittsburgh City Parks. Through daily patrols, continual safety education, and emergency response assistance they ensure safety for all park patrons.
Pittsburgh Park Rangers have jurisdiction over all Pittsburgh Parks and are actively present in all five regional parks including Emerald View, Frick, Highland, Riverview, and Schenley Parks. Rangers are also present in smaller parks including Allegheny Commons, Market Square, Mellon Park, and Westinghouse Park amongst others.
Rules and Regulations:
Park Rangers are authorized to enforce and issue citations for any violation to park ordinances which can be found under the municipal code section 473 and 633. These rules include but are not limited to:
- Park hours are 6AM-11PM unless otherwise noted.
- All pets must remain on a leash throughout the park unless in an approved off-leash exercise area (OLEA) site.
- Any disfigurement or removal of park amenities is prohibited. This includes natural resources such as lumber, plants, and/or seeds.
- All forms of tobacco are prohibited within City Parks. This includes but is not limited to cigarettes, cigars, vapes, e-cigarettes, and chewing tobacco.
- Interfering with any wildlife is prohibited, this includes hunting, trapping, feeding, and/or harvesting.
- A Special Events Permit is required for any pavilion rental or large event.
- Drones and Model Airplanes are prohibited in City Parks
- Grilling is only permitted in designated grilling areas. Campfires are prohibited without a permit.
Additional Questions? Check out the municipal code of ordinances here:
The Pittsburgh Park Rangers organize numerous educational activities both in parks and classroom settings. Activities include nature related tabling activities, star parties and guided hikes! If you are interested in setting up a Park Ranger sponsored program feel free to send us an e-mail!
Get in Touch!
Have a question or concern regarding your local park? Or want to set up a program? Send us an email. Include which park you are interested in and a ranger will get back to you!
Some photos of our parks and activities:
Follow us on Instagram to see more.